Generic unknown RC/IO error while verifying initial ticket

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Wed Dec 1 08:42:39 EST 2004

Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Jeremy> Ok, I'm going to let off some steam here... :-)
>
>     Jeremy> <rant mode on> This is what drives me *nuts* about krb5
>     Jeremy> debugging for customers.  WHY DOESN'T THE ERROR MESSAGE
>     Jeremy> GIVE SOME DETAILS ABOUT WHAT IT IS TRYING TO DO ! For
>     Jeremy> example, the filename it was trying to open and what the
>     Jeremy> error code was ?  </rant mode off>
>
> Would you be interested in helping design a way to do this?  Heimdal
> allows an error string to be stored inside a context and retrieved
> later.  That gives you enough flexibility to store the file name etc.
>
> The complexity is that we would need to go through the code and find
> every place where we have an error return and at least clear that
> string so the error returned always corresponded to the string if it
> was set.

Tag the string with the error code too, so only clear it if the
error code to be reported to the user does not match the error
with the message.

> Until we have someone who has time to go through all the code and do
> that or until we come up with a clever way of doing so incrementally
> we're stuck with the current system.

The OpenSSL ERR_ routines handle stacking of error codes and specific
error data like file names and can do it on a thread bases. Some of
these concepts could be used.