Fedora2/Apache2 and Key Version Error

Nebergall, Christopher cneberg at sandia.gov
Wed Aug 25 16:51:31 EDT 2004

You can use ethereal a packet sniffer.

http://www.ethereal.com/

But that is not your problem, from your error messages Apache it is sending
the header fine. The problem occurs later when the web server is trying to
process the token sent from the browser.

gss_accept_sec_context() failed: Miscellaneous failure
> (Key version number for principal in key table is incorrect)

The key in your keytab file does not match the key that the Active Directory
has for the server principal or you have changed the key multiple times
recently IE is using an older version of the key which it will cache till it
expires.

But that is confusing when looking at the next message, which makes it
appear as if the browser was not able to get a service ticket all.

>>Warning: received token seems to be NTLM, which isn't supported...
>>gss_accept_sec_context() failed: A token was invalid (Token header is
>>malformed or corrupt)

Run the kerbtray utility from Microsoft to make sure that IE is actually
getting a service ticket.  Then right click the tray icon and purge the
tickets, in case your windows box has cached an old ticket.  If that doesn't
fix any thing, recreate your keytab using ktutil.

Kerbtray link
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/kerbtray
-o.asp

-Christopher