Programmer documentation for MIT Kerberos

jenselby@MIT.EDU jenselby at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 19 17:41:32 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 08:02:12PM +0000, Mark H. Wood wrote:
> Is there any documentation for programmers who want to use MIT
> Kerberos that is, um, more up-to-date and complete than what comes in
> the source kit?  I've been working from the manuals in doc/api but,
> since they don't seem to document any of the data structures, I
> trawled through krb5.h for clues.  Along the way I found that some of
> the functions I had been planning to use are inside #if
> KRB5_DEPRECATED blocks, and seem to have been replaced by others which
> aren't mentioned in those manuals.
>
> Also I've been unable to find *any* documentation in the kit on
> libgssapi_krb5 or libcom_err.  What have I overlooked?  (I'm aware of
> Sun's Solaris-specific GSSAPI manual, and it's a bit better than the
> raw RFCs but still seems incomplete.)
>
> I've been able to glean some clues from the kinit source, but it would
> be nice to actually understand what I'm doing instead of just copying
> things and seeing if they function in my context.

Writing/updating all of this documentation is an open project that I've
been telling myself I would do in my spare time for quite some time
now.  I'm sorry that these don't exist to help you now, but you if send
me notes on whatever you find (however incomplete), that will
definitely help spur me on to actually get to this.

Jen