Getting a DES-encrypted TGT from AD server

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.Ltd.UK
Sat Oct 18 03:43:06 EDT 2003

David,

Thankyou. We are aware of this setting and we were already using this. The initial tgt is indeed DES-CBC, but the problem we have is with the forwarded tgt. How can we make the forwarded tgt not use RC4 ?

Thanks, Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Actually davidchr [mailto:davespam at microsoft.com]
Sent: 17 October 2003 22:35
To: Tim Alsop; kerberos at MIT.EDU
Subject: RE: Getting a DES-encrypted TGT from AD server

You can prevent Windows from issuing RC4 tickets by doing the following:
1. set UF_USE_DES_KEY_ONLY on the accounts involved
2. change the accounts' passwords (to the same password, if you like)

You can set this flag through the MMC Users and Computers snapin...
Under Account, it's a "Use DES for encryption" checkbox that you have to
scroll down a bit to get to, IIRC.

With this, the Windows KDC will only issue DES-CRC or DES-MD5 tickets.

---
This message is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
This message may originate from an unmonitored alias ("davespam") for
spam-reduction purposes.  Use "davidchr" for individual replies.
Any opinions or policies stated within are my own and do not necessarily
constitute those of my employer.
This message originates in the State of Washington (USA), where
unsolicited commercial email is legally actionable (see
http://www.wa.gov/ago/junkemail).
Harvesting of this address for purposes of bulk email (including "spam")
is prohibited unless by my expressed prior request.  I retaliate
viciously against spammers and spam sites.