GSSAPI x Kerberos

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Tue Jul 15 09:40:53 EDT 2003

Silvio Fonseca wrote:

> >Douglas> Another option is that OpenSSL can encapsulate Kerberos
> >Douglas> tickets in what SSL thinks are certificates.
> >Please don't do this is you can avoid it.  Use either the Mozilla or
> >the Microsoft style GSSAPI, or better yet don't use HTTP at all if you
> >don't expect your application to be used by normal web browsers.
>
> I can avoid it... As I told Douglas, I have control over server and client
> code, so is up to me to decide what I want... The lead developer idea was to
> use the Microsoft implementation using the "WWW-Authenticate: Negotiate" tag,
> but it's more likely that I'll use the Mozilla implementation (using GSS-
> Negotiate in the tag and pure GSS code encoded in base64) only and later change
> to SPNEGO, from what I readed in SPNEGO RFC and Microsoft Implementation, will
> be simple...
>
> >There are some significant issues with RFC 2712 (Kerberos inside TLS)
> >and even more significant issues with the OpenSSL implementation of
> >that spec.
>
> There's (besides kx509) any implementation of this? Just to know, what issues??

kx509 is not an implementatrion of this at all. It in effect issues a x509 certificate
and key which any browser can use. Kerberos is used to authenticate to the kca once a day
or so to get a new certificate. The certificate is stored in the MS cert cache and looks
 just like any other certificate, except it has a short lifetime. Netscape can access
the certificate and key via a PKCS11 plugin.