KRB5KDC_Err_S_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN

Donald Endres donaldendres at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 11 19:29:27 EST 2003

   I have been getting some interesting behavior
from OSX 10.3.1 when connecting to Windows 2000 file
shares.  I am concerned about the way OSX uses the
Kerberos protocol through their various layers of
security abstraction.  I would be grateful for any
input you are able to give.

   From an OSX 10.3.1 workstation,
using Active Directory as the only directory service,
I am able to logon to the workstation successfully.

   If I try "GO>Connect To Server>smb://server2/share",
I can sniff the following Kerberos error message being sent back
to the workstation from the Windows 2000 server:

"KRB5KDC_Err_S_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN"

 the mount_smbfs seems to work great.

   What does this error message imply, and how might
the problem be corrected?

Thank you very much for your time,
Sincerely,

   Donald Endres