Banners in Kerberized services

Quellyn Snead quellyn at lanl.gov
Tue Dec 9 14:14:24 EST 2003

Hello,

I have been trying to get TCP Wrappers to display connection banners
for Kerberized services (rlogind/rshd in particular) on my Red Hat 9
system.

Displaying /etc/motd upon successful authentication always works;
however, if I try to use banners through TCP Wrappers, the client's
connection seems to hang. For example in my hosts.allow:

klogind: XXX.YYY. : banners /etc/banners : ALLOW

BTW, I used TCP Wrappers' Banners.Makefile to create the banner files
and changed their names to match the service names in hosts.allow
(klogind, kshd).

I am wondering if this is expected behavior for the Kerberized
versions of these services? I have tried to replicate this behavior on
a Solaris system using non-Kerberized rlogind and in that scenarios
the banner does appear.

I am quite new to Kerberos and truly appreciate any help you might be
able to give