Preauth failed

Wyllys Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com
Tue Aug 19 11:26:39 EDT 2003

Jerome Walter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up a kerberos realm on which GNU/Linux, Solaris and Win2k
> stations would authenticate.
>>From now, i have now problem with GNU/Linux (Debian) stations, they
> authenticate perfectly.
>
> Solaris 9 stations gives me more problems, using SEAM. When kinit'ing i get a
> Preauthentication failed while getting initial credentials.
> Ethereal gives me no other message that "PREAUTH_FAILED" and
> "KRB5KDC_ERR_PREAUTH_FAILED".

Make sure you are only using DES keys for the Solaris client principals.
Solaris 9 SEAM does not support 3DES enctypes.

Also, check the time delta between the Solaris clients and the KDC.

Finally - check sunsolve.sun.com for the latest patches for Kerberos (SEAM),
there are several that might fix this problem.

-Wyllys