Cross realm authentication

CJ Keist cjay at engr.colostate.edu
Mon Aug 18 15:16:06 EDT 2003

If I understand your message here, then Kerberos right now is not
capable of handling this setup.  In that a master realm that holds just
user principals, with sub realms holding host principals cannot
authenticate a user logging into a client machine in one of the sub
realms?

On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 11:51  AM, Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> CJ Keist wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>       Reading the docs on cross realm authentication is making me go
>> crossed eyed ;).  I'll try my best to explain what it is I'm wanting
>> do with cross realm authentication.
>> We have two realms 1) COLOSTATE.EDU and 2) ENGR.COLOSTATE.EDU (my
>> realm).  The top realm is going to house just user principals with
>> passwords, and my realm will house just my host principals.  So what I
>> want to happen is when a user tries to login to one of my workstations
>> it will go to my KDC,
>
> The user should login as user at COLORADO.EDU, then the client will
> contact the COLORADO.EDU realm directly. Later when trying to get
> a host ticket the lib will get the crossrealm TGT then the service
> ticket.

    In this case wouldn't the COLORADO.EDU KDC have to have the client
machine host principal?