Kerberos: The Definitive Guide now available

Jason Garman jgarman at wedgie.org
Sat Aug 2 21:53:45 EDT 2003

Hello,

A few months ago, I sent a message to this list announcing that I was
working on a Kerberos book for O'Reilly and Associates.  I received
quite the response from my posting.  Well, after about a year of work,
I'm pleased to announce that the book is now available for pre-order
and should be on bookshelves in a few weeks.  O'Reilly has a book page
up at http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/kerberos/ and I'll be following up
on the O'Reilly Network once its released with some Kerberos-related
articles - the first of which is how to use the SPNEGO implementation
to achieve web-based Kerberos authentication with IE clients and Apache
servers on Unix (thanks for releasing that to open source, Markus!)

Since it seems O'Reilly hasn't posted the table of contents yet, here's
a basic overview of what's covered:

- Introduction & terminology
- Protocols (Needham-Schroeder, Kerberos 4, and Kerberos 5)
- Implementations (MIT, Heimdal, MS Windows, and Mac OS X client
functionality)
- Troubleshooting problems
- Practical security issues & solutions
- Overview of some available Kerberized applications
- Advanced topics; cross-realm authentication, Windows/Unix interop,
etc.
- Finally, a small case study and discussion of some future Kerberos
directions including public key and Kerberos referrals

I've met some great people on this list through this project and I'd
like to give them my sincere thanks at this point.  They've provided
great expertise and have helped to make this book as technically
accurate as possible.

Feel free to send me an email if you have any questions or want more
information.

-- Jason Garman / jgarman at wedgie.org