mit kerberosv5 1.2.7 - kadmin wont connect - please help

Wyllys Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com
Thu Apr 3 10:46:41 EST 2003

Yan wrote:
> Now it works
> For your information, the problem was that the KDC
> was listening only on port 88 and not 750, so kinit and
> kadmind was unable to communicate with it.
>
> Apache authentication with mod_auth_kerb works fine.
>
> I tried to authenticate my solaris8 box with the bundled
> PAM_Kerb5 module, and it doesnt work because
> Sun SEAM Kdc is working with a SecureRPC method
> different than the one MIT Kerberos use. >

SEAM clients work just fine for standard Kerberos exchanges.
The secure RPC differences only affect the use of administrative
tools like kadmin.   Clients like 'kinit' and using pam_krb5
for authentication work just fine talking to SEAM or MIT
KDCs.

There are several SEAM patches for pam that you should try
to download.  Also, verify that you have installed the
encryption pack for Solaris 8 SEAM (free unbundled download).

---
Patch 112390 delivers patches for the "domestic" krb5 library
  (/usr/lib/gss/do/mech_krb5.so.1)

Patch 112237 delivers the same patches for the "global" krb5 library
  (usr/lib/gss/gl/mech_krb5.so.1)

The "domestic" library is the one with full encryption support (for
Solaris 8).

For Solaris 9, there is no difference in the do and gl mechs, both
deliver encryption.

Thus, if you are patching a Solaris 8 system with crypto support,
use 112390.
---

Note, SEAM does not support Kerberos V4 in any way, so if you are
trying to use KrbV4 with SEAM, then you should expect it to fail.

> Is there a way to authenticate my solaris clients
> with the MIT kerberos KDC ?

Use 'kinit' just like you always do.

-Wyllys

> Thank you,
> Yan
> --------------
>

>>>Heres the messages I exchanged with Srini
>>>from the newsgroup, the problem remains unsolved
>>>looking forward for more help
>>>
>>>Yan
>>>

>>> Hi group,
>>>     I compiled it from source on Solaris8.
>>> I followed the installation guide, created an admin
>>> principal, an ACL, filled krb5.conf and kdc.conf.
>>> The installation as /opt/k5 for --prefix so I created
>>> /opt/k5/etc and /opt/k5/var manually to put my config
>>> files.
>>>
>>> When starting krb5kdc this port appears :
>>> -begin-------------------------------------------------------
>>> UDP: IPv4
>>> 192.168.0.8.88                              Idle
>>> -end-------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> and the ports for kadmind :
>>> -begin-------------------------------------------------------
>>> UDP: IPv4
>>>       *.464                                 Idle
>>> TCP: IPv4
>>>       *.749                *.*                0      0 24576      0
>>
>>LISTEN
>>
>>> -end-------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> So I assume my servers are up and running, the procs
>>> are in ps -ef output as well.
>>>
>>> kadmin.local works here is the getprincs output:
>>> -begin-------------------------------------------------------
>>> kadmin.local:  getprincs
>>> K/M at NEOTOKYO.COM
>>> kadmin/admin at NEOTOKYO.COM
>>> kadmin/changepw at NEOTOKYO.COM
>>> kadmin/history at NEOTOKYO.COM
>>> krbtgt/NEOTOKYO.COM at NEOTOKYO.COM
>>> yan/admin at NEOTOKYO.COM
>>> -end-------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> I found while googling that someone has had this problem
>>> before, and he was told to make sure that its host file was
>>> configured to have the FQDN of the machine appearing first
>>> in the host file for that IP. It didnt solved my problem.
>>>
>>> Heres the problem :
>>> -begin-------------------------------------------------------
>>> sun2# kadmin -p yan/admin at NEOTOKYO.COM
>>> Authenticating as principal yan/admin at NEOTOKYO.COM with password.
>>> kadmin: Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm while initializing
>>> kadmin
>>> interface
>>> -end-------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Here is my krb5.conf file :
>>> -begin-------------------------------------------------------
>>> [libdefaults]
>>> ticket_lifetime = 600
>>> default_realm = NEOTOKYO.COM
>>> default_tkt_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1 des-cbc-crc
>>> default_tgs_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1 des-cbc-crc
>>>
>>> [realms]
>>> NEOTOKYO.COM = {
>>>     kdc = SUN2.NEOTOKYO.COM
>>>     admin_server = SUN2.NEOTOKYO.COM
>>>     default_domain = NEOTOKYO.COM
>>> }
>>>
>>> [domain_realm]
>>> .neotokyo.com = NEOTOKYO.COM
>>> neotokyo.com = NEOTOKYO.COM
>>>
>>> [logging]
>>> kdc = FILE:/opt/k5/var/krb5kdc/kdc.log