afs-krb5 integration

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 22 12:32:04 EDT 2002

    Josh> Now, I looked at the release notes for OpenAFS 1.2.7, and it
    Josh> didn't mention anything like this feature -- what verison of
    Josh> OpenAFS supports this new token format?

Someone had to come first in supporting this feature and in this case
Kerberos got a release out before the AFS side of the code was stable
and integrated.  Look for this in a future OpenAFS and Arla release.

    Josh> With this support
    Josh> should it be possible to use AFS without obtaining separate
    Josh> tokens for afs? (will the service ticket obtained with the
    Josh> TGT from k5 be enough?)

Yes, there will be a version of aklog that in many cases does not need
to contact the krb524d but instead just gets a service ticket.  This
has not been written yet however.

    Josh> I like the thought of more integration of AFS and krb5.

Not surprisingly those of us who worked on this proposal had similar
motivations.