Kerb/PKI Infrastructure - Who's on first?

STEWARD, Curtis (Jamestown) Curtis.Steward at trw.com
Mon Oct 7 18:21:28 EDT 2002

Help, I'm thoroughly confused.  What is the best recommended direction for
single
authentication being proposed by the IETF, or is there?  I can see Kerb
feeding public key
applications a TGT or visa versa from PKI app's with PKINIT.  It looks clear
to me the PKI infrastructure
has been set by the IETF, but I'm getting tired looking for a common
approach and sorting through
RFC's.  Is Kerb/PKI a pipe dream, should the infrastructure center around
the TGT or a RSA key,
or do I have to run both?  I'm not sure where KINK fits in, but this is what
I'd like:

	Single OS signon regardless of OS, Kerberos, etc must coexist & send
or receive
	authentication (RSA?).

	This same sign-on would provide RSA authentication to SSH, SSL/TLS,
	S/MIME, PKIX and IPSEC.

	I don't want to run two or parallel authentication schemes.

Cybersafe has there product, but is this the right approach?  The OpenGroup
has
their PKI, but what about host authentication at login?

I have searched literally for days to understand how should one authenticate
symetrically or asymetrically, etc.  Is there a best practice approach here.
I prefer
an opensource solution, and the closest I can come is with Heimdal and the
typical
opensource tools for shell, transport, email, etc.  Any contact, explanation
or doc would
be great, TIA..

cs