microsoft xp gssapi client talking to solaris8 gssapi server

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Oct 4 20:14:23 EDT 2002

On Fri, 04 Oct 2002 22:51:55 +0000, Sam Hartman wrote:

>  This is of course false.  There are two ways you can port Unix GSSAPI
> to Windows.  The first is to use MIT's Kerberos for Windows which
> includes a native GSSAPI implementation.  The other is to use Martin
> Rex's dll for converting GSSAPI calls to SSPI calls.

In the first case you're not using Active Directory, which kind of defeats
the point.  Plus KFW is not available outside the US, which is a pain as
you have to build from the unix source tree (and if you intend to do
anything commercial you've got export/license issues anyway... heimdal
which is more unencumbered isn't yet ported to windows AFAIK).

In the second case I've never heard of this dll (and I've been searching
for two years for such a beast...  I ended up writing by own (which works
OK for the one project I need it for)... there are parts of
SSPI though that simply don't map to GSSAPI and you have to fudge the
issue - I doubt it's possible to make a truly source compatible version.
Do you have a link for information about this?
Google doesn't list anything about it (plenty of references to a
Martin Rex writing a DLL, but no indication it was ever actually
finished, and the references dry up in early 2001).

Tony