cracklib patch crashes kadmind

jason.calvert@abbott.com jason.calvert at abbott.com
Thu Oct 3 17:00:30 EDT 2002

Yes, the patch was made for a much older version of Krb5.   I certainly was
not complaining Ken, I was happy just to see it compile :).  I was just
wondering if there was a newer patch floating around before I broke out my
debugger.  Like most Sysadmins I don't have much free time for anything,
especially fun stuff like developement, so I was hoping there was a newer
patch out there.  I did not mean to imply that the code was bad, sorry if I
did, and thanks for all of your contributions.

Thanks again,

Jason.

                    Ken Hornstein
                    <kenh at cmf.nrl        To:     jason.calvert at abbott.com (Jason)
                    .navy.mil>           cc:     kerberos at mit.edu
                                         Subject:     Re: cracklib patch crashes kadmind
                    10/03/2002
                    12:57 PM

>Well I tried to hack server_dict.c with crack lib and when attempting
>to change a password kadmind dies.  So I grabed the patch for
>server_dict out of the monster-patch for afs-krb5 and applied it, and
>got the same results.  I just recomplied the libraries both times.
>
>I am using the krb5-1.2.5 source code, and the monster-patch from
>afs-krb5-1.3.

It's not surprising, since the monster patch is from ... what, 1.0.6?

I've updated the cracklib bits since we've upgraded our KDC to 1.2.6 ...
but I'm still in the middle of the migration, and I've been too busy
to produce a new migration kit.  It's probably going to be a while
until I do (and it may even work out that the bits of the migration
kit simply get folded into the relevant software distributions).

But I will say that all of the work I recall doing regarding cracklib
support was simply fixing up the autoconf stuff ... it "just worked"
after that was done.

--Ken