Help

Parag Godkar paragg at konark.ncst.ernet.in
Wed Nov 20 01:14:28 EST 2002

> I am a Faculty at Penn College in Pennsylavnia
> I teach a class on  Network Security CSC 299.
> I need help to set up a lab for the students so they can have a better
> understanding   of Kerberos Authnetication System .
> I have a windows environment .
> I would apprciate your response.

If you have windows 2000 clients in windows 2000 server
based domain with active directory enabled, then
you are already unknowingly using kerberos based
authentication.

Check out these URLs -

Whitepaper-
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechn
ol/windows2000serv/deploy/kerberos.asp

Support WebCast: Introduction to Kerberos
http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/Webcasts/SO_Projects/so7/SOBLURB7.
ASP

Kerberos Policy-
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechn
ol/winxppro/proddocs/KPtopnode.asp

Interoperability -
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/security/kerbint.as

I personally feel it is difficult to show
the working of Kerberos on Windows 2000.
It is all very transperant to the user and the
administrator.

And remember you are implicitly using
kerberos only if you have a win2k server
based domain with active directory enabled
And your clients are win2k professional. For
rest all cases windows uses NTLM for
authentication.

Regards,
Parag Godkar