Windows Linux interoperability

Rechenberg, Andrew arechenberg at shermfin.com
Wed Nov 13 11:49:27 EST 2002

There are a number of options that one can use to accomplish what you
want.  We currently use MS SFU Server for NIS on the Windows 2000 DCs,
and ypbind and pam_smb on the Linux box and the configuration works
quite well.

We also used nss_ldap for a while as well, but stock AD only returns the
first 1000 objects for a query and some programs like 'id' don't work
very well in our situation.  A freeware program called AD4UNIX will
extend the schema of your directory like SFU NIS and then you can use
nss_ldap without paying a license for Services for UNIX (it's only $99,
but still not free).

I've been working on a Linux-ActiveDirectory Integration HOWTO for some
time but you know how time goes :)  I'll try to get it done before
January.

Andy.