FQDN needed by sasl_gss_client_step or gss_import_name?

Nicolas.Williams@ubsw.com Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com
Mon May 20 17:38:43 EDT 2002

user->client: connect to FOO
client->DNS: get canon name and address for FOO
DNS->client: the canonical name for FOO is BAR and this is its address
client<->BAR: TCP connect and negotiate Kerberos auth
client->KDC: get ticket to talk to BAR
KDC->client: ticket to talk to BAR
client->BAR: AP-REQ
BAR->client: AP-REP
client<->BAR: chat

Something's wrong with this: the user doesn't know that FOO was canonicalized to BAR just like that and the client doesn't have a way to authenticate the canonicalization because DNS is not secure. I hate it. I used to be in denial of this.

There's a solution: push some of the canonicalization to KDC. The MS approach is to have the KDC treat SPNs which are "obviously" DNS aliases as real principals using the same key material as that of the canonical name. Like so:

user->client: connect to FOO
client->DNS: get address of FOO
DNS->client: the canonical name for FOO is BAR and this is its address
client<->FOO(really BAR): TCP connect and negotiate Kerberos auth
client->KDC: get ticket to talk to FOO
KDC->client: ticket to talk to FOO (using BAR's key)
client->FOO(really BAR): AP-REQ
FOO(really BAR)->client: AP-REP
client<->FOO(really BAR): chat

Implementing this really means that the KDC and the DNS name service have to have a higher degree of integration because the KDC now needs to have secure access to the same info as stored in the zone files for the same realms' domains. Mind you, there already has to be a pretty good correlation between the two - now it has to be more formal.

Cheers,

Nico