root login

Marc syn_uw at NOSPAM_hotmail.com
Tue May 14 03:09:08 EDT 2002

Ken Raeburn wrote:

> Marc <syn_uw at NOSPAM_hotmail.com> writes:
>

>>In this situation I am using Linux Slackware 8 with a 2.2 kernel and
>>with MIT Kerberos 1.2.4. I have installed the login.krb5 instead of the
>>normal krb, my question is:
>>
>>Is it possible to avoid the root account to be checked against Kerberos
>>and instead make only the root account to be checked in /etc/passwd
>>using login.krb5 ?
>>

> There is code is login.krb5 to bypass some of the Kerberos support if
> the uid for the requested account is zero.
>
> 	    lpass_ok = unix_passwd_okay(user_pwstring);
>
> 	    if (pwd->pw_uid != 0) { /* Don't get tickets for root */
> 		try_krb5(&me, user_pwstring);
>
> If root logins are being refused for you, perhaps there's some other
> problem in the UNIX passwd support?
>
> We aren't using login.krb5 as the normal system login program here,
> only for telnetd/rlogind logins, so it's possible you're encountering
> problems we wouldn't see.
>
> Ken

Someone already told me that login.krb5 had support to authenticate root
with the passwd db. The problem is that it simply doesn't work, I don't
have any special configuration, it's just a normal Slackware Linux box
(kernel 2.2.19). Could it be something like like login.krb5 doesn't like
shadow files ?!

Regards