KRB5_REALM_CANT_RESOLVE errors ?

Christopher Burke craznar at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 28 20:20:21 EST 2002

kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil (Ken Hornstein) wrote in news:200203281423.g2SENBY21585
@ginger.cmf.nrl.navy.mil:

>>No - ALL kerberos stuff is housed within the mutex, one at a time through
>>the funnel.
>
> I think Ken's point was that if elsewhere in your program you call
> gethostbyname() (or perhaps a function that calls gethostbyname()) _not_
> in the Kerberos routines, then the gethostbyname() in the Kerberos library
> could fail since gethostbyname() isn't thread-safe.  As you describe it,
> the mutex just blocks other calls to the Kerberos library, right?  It
> doesn't completely stop other threads.

Mmm... getting through my thick skull slowly.....

Its there.... I get it now, I think it does and that could definitely be a
show stopper. I don't have the source code to the main application - so I
have no way of stopping the main application using gethostbyname outside my
mutex.

--
---
/* Christopher Burke - Spam Mail to craznar at hotmail.com
|* www.craznar.com -
\* Real mail to cburke(at)craznar(dot)com