Compiling 1.2.5 on True64 v5.x

Tim Mooney mooney at dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Tue Jul 9 14:46:02 EDT 2002

In regard to: Re: Compiling 1.2.5 on True64 v5.x, Donn Cave said (at 5:54pm...:

>Quoth Peter Losher <plosher at wwiv.com>:
>| Has anyone encountered an issue compiling Kerberos 1.2.5 on a Tru64 {5.0 or
>| 5.1) box using Compaq's C compiler?  Any pointers would be welcome.
>
>Well, I just had a go at it with Digital UNIX 4.0, using DEC's
>C compiler.  What a mess!  Your compiler sure seems to be more
>tolerant than mine.  I'm having to fix several include files,
>where preprocessor macros were indented.  (Folks, if you must
>indent a preprocessor macro, that's fine, but the # has to stay
>in the first column.)  With those fixes, it did build.

I had no trouble building 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 out of the box on Tru64 4.0f
+ patches, with the vendor tools.

I also had no trouble building 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 on Tru64 5.1 + patches,
also with the vendor tools.

>But I don't have your problem - maybe because DU 4.0 doesn't
>even have an in6.h.  The authors of in6.h apparently expect
>typedefs like "uint8_t" to exist, but don't manage to make
>that happen.

I've seen two cases where this happens:

1) You have bind 8.x (or perhaps 9.x) installed somewhere, and the
sys/bitypes.h file from bind is getting picked up before the
/usr/include/sys/bitypes.h file, which has the necessary definitions for
uint8_t, etc.

2) You have a completely unpatched 5.0 box, and there's some bug in the
in6.h that was fixed in a patch.

I'm pretty hazy on the details for #2, but #1 took me a long time to
figure out when I ran into the problem a while back.

Basically, if you install bind 8.x or 9.x, do *not* install its version
of sys/bitypes.h with the rest of bind's include files.

>  You'll have to find where they're supposed to
>come from - not sys/types.h, evidently, but no doubt something
>like it.

sys/bitypes.h

Tim
--