service_name ????

Rick mail at server.net
Tue Feb 19 13:01:50 EST 2002

I've been asked to integrate Kerberos (via the GSS-API) into an application.
Poking around the MIT Kerberos distribution I found
/athena/auth/krb5/src/appl/gss-sample.  It wants a service name.  What's a
service name?  I presume it's referring to ftp, telnet, etc.  What's the
syntax?  Does the Kerberos server need to be configured for these services
before the sample will work?

Regardless of what I use I get the following error message:

GSS-API error acquiring credentials: Miscellaneous failure
GSS-API error acquiring credentials: No such file or directory

It appears as if the GSS-API call generally maps to the Kerberos
gss_acquire_cred() API.  My test program passes null for the 8th parameter
(service_name) and it works fine.  What gives?

retval = krb5_get_init_creds_password(context, &creds, client, "testpass",
NULL, 0, opts.starttime, opts.service_name, &options);

Many thanks in advance,