[MIT] Simple telnet question

Philippe Perrin philippeperrin at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 15:27:03 EST 2002

Actually, the KDC is a Windows 2000 server, so no "syslog" :)
I checked its logs, and noticed the following :
- at the initial kinit, the KDC grants the
krbtgt/KERBYKB.LOCAL at KERBYKB.LOCAL ticket (TGT)
- when running telnet on the MIT server, it does NOT try to get any ticket
before prompting for a password. when typying the real password, I see that
another TGT was delivered to the host, and running klist in the telnet
session makes it appear.
- when running telnet to another server (Heimdal), I see that the client
asks for the right host/... at KERBYKB.LOCAL ticket

So I don't think the Windows KDC is the cause. What I don't understand is
why the SAME MIT telnet client asks for the ticket in one case (Heimdal
server) and NOT in another (MIT server)...

Philippe

a4971a$1bfm$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu...