[MIT] Simple telnet question

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 11 14:45:46 EST 2002

Quoth "Philippe Perrin" <philippeperrin at yahoo.com>:
| Thanks for the advice. Here is the output, after a successful call to kinit
| telnet: Kerberos V5: failure on credentials(Server not found in Kerberos
| database)
| telnet: Kerberos V5: failure on credentials(Server not found in Kerberos
| database)

OK, that's good, but it means you must check the second place I suggested.
When it says "server not found", it means telnet has picked a service
name that doesn't match the one your site supports.  There are three
places to go wrong - the service, the host instance, and the realm.  The
most likely is your host goes by several addresses and the service principal
assigned by your site doesn't use the canonical host name.  Whatever, look
in that syslog and you will see this failure and see what principal it was
actually looking for.  If you don't have access to the log, enlist the
cooperation of your site administrator.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu