Changing Microsoft KDC to accept TCP/IP packets

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 27 18:29:07 EST 2002

sankar_rv at hotmail.com (Sankar) writes:

> Hai,
>   Can anyone tell me, how to modify Microsoft KDC to accept tcp/ip
> packets. Accourding to my understanding KDC uses UDP by default. Is
> there any way to alter this?
>
>  Please advice.

I thought accepting TCP as well as UDP was the default setup.  In
fact, we updated the MIT implementation to support TCP because we've
run into situations where KDC responses from MS KDCs were too big to
be returned by UDP.  Except for cases like that, though, the KDC will
send its response using the same protocol the client used to
communicate with the KDC in the first place.  (Even in the
too-big-for-UDP case, if the client used UDP, the KDC will use UDP to
send back an error code that means the client should try again with
TCP.)

Ken