SSH, Solaris 8 Kerberos Client and Windows 2000 KDC

Parag Godkar paragg at konark.ncst.ernet.in
Tue Aug 27 04:23:17 EDT 2002

We have Windows 2000 Servers acting as Kerberos KDCs
and Red Hat Linux 7.2 & Solaris 8 Servers as Kerberos Clients.

Our people can ssh to linux servers and get authenticated
against Win2k Kerberos KDC. There is no problem here.

However, when people ssh to solaris 8 servers - following
symptoms are observed -

1. People can ssh once and login. But another ssh session is
    denied.

2. Running the "klist" command in the logged in session
    of ssh gives the following error -

    klist: Credentials cache file permissions incorrect
            while setting cache flags (ticket cache /tmp/krb5cc_1003)

    I checked the permissions in /tmp and observed that the
    cache is owned by "root" instead of the logged in person.

3. After the person logs out, he is denied login access unless
    I manually delete his cached credentials from /tmp.

What is notable is that "telnet" to solaris 8 servers works
just fine and has no such problems.

I saw that there was some discussion on this topic in the
mailing list archives but no definite solution.

Is this a problem with ssh server on Solaris 8 or a problem
with kerberos on Solaris 8 or what is it ?

Can someone guide me please ?

Regards,
Parag Godkar.