Windows browse list w/ Kerberos

Steve Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Thu Aug 8 19:00:28 EDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 03:22:04PM -0700, John Green wrote:
> I thought it was pretty strange too.  Here are the records I used for my
> DNS:

> _kerberos		IN	TXT	"BHBTEST.COM"
> _kerberos-master._udp	IN	SRV	0 0 88  kerb1
> _kerberos-adm._tcp	IN	SRV	0 0 749 kerb1
> _kpasswd._udp		IN	SRV	0 0 464 kerb1
> _kerberos._udp		IN	SRV	0 0 88  kerb1
> _ldap._tcp.bhbtest.com	IN	SRV	0 0 389 ldap1

And is kerb1 the DNS name of the machine that you had just set Kerberos up
on?  In that case, having a Kerberos server suddenly available for the
Kerberos realm that the workstation nominally considers itself part of
could indeed cause the workstations to start behaving differently.

> Someone else replied to this thread, thinking that the KDC interfered with
> "kerberized" daemons running on other machines, namely sshd.  I have sshd
> running on several of my internal servers, including the Samba server.
> Adding pricipals for these machines alone supposedly should do the trick.
> This sounds reasonable to me, any thoughts?

I don't understand the nature of the problem well enough to hazard a
guess.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer