Windows browse list w/ Kerberos

Steve Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Thu Aug 8 17:50:20 EDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 02:32:57PM -0700, John Green wrote:
> Thanks for the input.  I realize that about the Samba version, and
> definitely no AD here (I wouldn't want to attempt trying to make Samba the
> master browser with a Win2K PDC around, perhaps a hardier soul might), but
> the Kerberos machine arriving on the network was definitely the cause; the
> Samba machine has been running for over a year, the only problem being the
> five minutes the Kerberos machine was on the network.

This seems terribly odd to me.  Did you do anything wrt configuring
Kerberos besides setting up a KDC on the Linux box?  I certainly don't
understand why the Win2K workstations were even *aware* of the presence of
the new Kerberos server, let alone negatively impacted by it.  Did you
configure SRV records for your domain pointing to the Linux server?

And BTW, trying to force Samba 2.2.1 to be a local master browser when
there's a Win2K domain controller on the network (it can be done) is a BAD
idea.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer