Uses of kerberos?

Töns Büker toens.bueker at gmx.net
Fri Apr 26 11:01:24 EDT 2002

Doug Cuthbertson <doug.cuthbertson at entegrity.com> wrote:

>> But as I understand it is not standard on any of these operating systems.
>> Lets say if I install win xp on my pc I wont have kerberos on it? If I
>> want kerberos I need to install it appart from windows? Is this correct?
>>
> Actually, Microsoft made there own version of Kerberos for Win2K Server (I
> don't think it's available in the workstation version).

Actually MS-Kerberos is part of W2K-Workstation (aka Windows 2000 Professional)
and the respective XP-versions as well. It can be seen in various locations
(e. g. VPN authentication). To make a W2K-Workstation authenticate against a
Unix-KDC, you need ksetup, which is in the tools directory on your W2K-disc (I
didn't succeed doing that, yet).

MS has made MS-Kerberos their default authentication mechanism - keeping NTLM
only for compatibility reasons.

MS-Kerberos is a vital part of Active Directory (AD) and AD is a vital part of
the new networking concepts in 2000 and XP, which replace the old domain
concept of NT.

by
Töns
--