Active Directory LDAP vs. separate LDAP server

mike kimball mike at scl.utah.edu
Tue Apr 23 21:50:19 EDT 2002

We are about to implement kerberos authentication in our open access
labs, which will include Mac OS 9.x, Mac OS X, and Windows 2000
clients.  Both of the options we are considering would entail a
couple of UNIX-based KDC's to handle Userid/Password authentication
for both Macs and PCs.  Our two options differ on one main point - do
we use a single Active Directory server to handle user configuration
info for both PCs and Macs (Macs would use LDAP interface), or should
we have a separate LDAP directory server for the Macs?

Obviously having a single server for user config info means avoiding
extra hardware or synchronization needs; while having a separate one
for Macs avoids relying on Active Directory and MSFT.  But what I'm
looking for is any additional insight or experiences anyone has had
with either of these two setups.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike