difficulty implementing Kerberos on Solaris 8 (via Sun's SEAM)

Zaakarij Selassij zaakarij at broken.org
Mon Apr 15 10:40:31 EDT 2002

Thanks for the reply, Wyllys.  My comments are below.

> Sun does support this product, so you could try logging a call to Sun
> support or looking online at sunsolve.sun.com for any relevant bugs
> or patches for this product. I know there are several patches
> depending on which version of Solaris you are running.

I have already searched throughout Sun's online services... I've found nothign specific to my particular problem.  SEAM 1.0.1 is in use on both servers (Solaris 8 02/02 OE SPARC) and is patched to the most current level (110060-11):

------------------------
Patch-ID# 110060-11
Date: Apr/04/2002
------------------------

I have a number of Sun ProServ engineers here on-site where I am and none of them have been able to provide any assistance... I hope to receive further support from Sun in the coming days.

> It might help if you attached your /etc/krb5/krb5.conf and
> /etc/krb5/kdc.conf files.  It looks like you may have a configuration
> problem.

Here goes:

#########################
root at kerberos1-ams> cat kdc.conf
#
# Copyright (c) 1998, by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
# All rights reserved.
#
#pragma ident   "@(#)kdc.conf   1.2     98/08/17 SMI"

[kdcdefaults]
        kdc_ports = 88,750

[realms]
        TEST.REALM.ORG = {
                profile = /etc/krb5/krb5.conf
                database_name = /var/krb5/principal
                admin_keytab = /etc/krb5/kadm5.keytab
                acl_file = /etc/krb5/kadm5.acl
                kadmind_port = 749
                max_life = 8h 0m 0s
                max_renewable_life = 7d 0h 0m 0s
                dict_file = /usr/share/lib/dict/words
        }

----------------and------------------

root at kerberos1-ams> cat krb5.conf
#
# Copyright (c) 1998, by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
# All rights reserved.
#
#pragma ident   "@(#)krb5.conf  1.10    98/11/11 SMI"

[libdefaults]
        ticket_lifetime = 600
        default_realm = TEST.REALM.ORG
        default_tkt_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1 des-cbc-crc
        default_tgs_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1 des-cbc-crc

# des3-hmac-sha1 is not supported by Sun's implementation of
# Kerberos yet, this is added for future use.

[realms]
        TEST.REALM.ORG = {
                kdc = kerberos1-ams.test.realm.org
                kdc = kerberos2-ams.test.realm.org
                admin_server = kerberos1-ams.test.realm.org
                default_domain = realm.org
        }

[domain_realm]
        .corp.mmfn.com = TEST.REALM.ORG
        corp.mmfn.com = TEST.REALM.ORG

[logging]
        default = FILE:/var/krb5/kdc.log
        kdc = FILE:/var/krb5/kdc.log
        kdc_rotate = {

# How often to rotate kdc.log. Logs will get rotated no more
# often than the period, and less often if the KDC is not used
# frequently.

                period = 1d

# how many versions of kdc.log to keep around (kdc.log.0, kdc.log.1, ...)

                versions = 10
        }

[appdefaults]
        gkadmin = {
                help_url = http://localhost:8888/ab2/coll.384.2/SEAM
        }
        kinit = {
                renewable = true
                forwardable= true
        }
        rlogin = {
                forwardable= true
        }
        rsh = {
                forwardable= true
        }
        telnet = {
                autologin = true
                forwardable= true
        }
#########################

Seems fine to me.. anyone see something that I've missed?

> Note that Sun's "kadmin" and "kpasswd" programs can only be used
> against SEAM (Sun's Kerberos package) KDC and Admin servers because
> Solaris uses RPCSEC_GSS to talk to the servers and MIT uses
> a different secure RPC protocol which is incompatible.  So, if you are
> trying to talk to a non-SEAM KDC that might explain the problem.

All relevant systems are running SEAM, not MIT Kerberos.

> The kernel modules for kgssapi and do_kmech_krb5 are only relevant if
> you are using Kerberized NFS mounts.  The standard Kerberos clients and
> server programs distributed with SEAM do not rely on any in-kernel bits.

Good to know... so the SEAM "5.8 Kernel Module" is not necessary to install unless protecting NFS mounts?

Thanks for the help!

-Zaakarij