Telnet client

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at watsun.cc.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 10 08:48:01 EDT 2002

The TELNET AUTH and TELNET AUTH KRB5 option negotiations are
specified in RFC 2941 and RFC 2942.  They can be accessed from
the RFC Editor's page  http://www.rfc-editor.org and I keep
copies of them along with my latest Internet-Drafts at
http://www.kermit-project.org/standards.html

In article <200204090435.g394ZVY27094 at ginger.cmf.nrl.navy.mil>,
Ken Hornstein <kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
: >I am trying to develop a telnet client application,
:
: You should probably look at other Kerberos telnet clients as examples ...
:
: >IAC SB AUTHENTICATION IS <authentication-type-pair> AUTH <Kerberos V5
: >   KRB_AP_REQ message> IAC SE
: >
: >But I can't implement this RFC 2942 procedure in hexa type just like above,
: >because I'm still not understand how to get these:
: >
: >1. "KRB_AP_REQ message" ?
:
: That's the output of the krb5_mk_req() function (for more detail, you should
: read RFC1510; it explains that it more detail).
:
: >2. what "<authentication-type-pair>" should I send ?
:
: I think that's the bitmask of the authentication types the server support
: and the client support (I seem to remember that those get sent by the server
: and the client picks one).
:
: >3. should I change the NAME "pete" with my login account "test" or "root" ?
:
: That's up to you; that's the Unix account that the server will try to
: login as.  A good telnet client lets you change that somehow.
:
: --Ken