Better interface detection? (was Re: krb5kdc crashes)

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 8 16:26:52 EDT 2002

--On Monday, April 08, 2002 18:53:46 +0000 Ken Raeburn <raeburn at mit.edu>
wrote:

> It would work on systems where recvmsg lets you get the appropriate
> control information.  But under IRIX 6.5, for example, you only get
> the old 4.3BSD-style "access rights", which AFAIK is only useful for
> passing a file descriptor between processes.  So, assuming we need to
> support KDCs on IRIX (not necessarily a given, although MIT is still
> using IRIX 6.5 on some systems) or other such systems, we could only
> do what you suggest as an optimization.

He's not talking about msg_control/msg_accrights, but msg_name, which irix
6.5 claims to support:
"
          struct msghdr {
               caddr_t   msg_name; /* optional address */
               int  msg_namelen;   /* size of address */
               struct    iovec *msg_iov;     /* scatter/gather array */
               int  msg_iovlen;    /* # elements in msg_iov */
               caddr_t   msg_accrights; /* access rights sent/received */
               int  msg_accrightslen;
          };

     Here msg_name and msg_namelen specify the destination address if the
     socket is unconnected; msg_name may be given as a null pointer if no
     names are desired or required.

"

Given how much effort the bind and ntp people have put into this issue,
it's probably not that easy, but it looks like it should be.