Better interface detection? (was Re: krb5kdc crashes)

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com
Mon Apr 8 15:50:24 EDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 02:49:01PM -0400, Ken Raeburn wrote:
> Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com> writes:
> > Can this work? It sure sounds like the code would be simpler.
>
> It would work on systems where recvmsg lets you get the appropriate
> control information.  But under IRIX 6.5, for example, you only get
> the old 4.3BSD-style "access rights", which AFAIK is only useful for
> passing a file descriptor between processes.  So, assuming we need to
> support KDCs on IRIX (not necessarily a given, although MIT is still
> using IRIX 6.5 on some systems) or other such systems, we could only
> do what you suggest as an optimization.

Hey, I don't need Irix support :)

More seriously, both approaches could be implemented. Then on systems
like Irix you get stuck with the old behaviour and on systems where this
can work your KDC will adapt to new interfaces coming up no problem and
will be able to start even when only lo0 is up. OTOH, I'm not asking for
this, I just thought that here was an opportunity to cut out a bunch of
code in your KDC.

[IPv6 stuff cut out]

I don't think you should drop IPv4-only support anytime soon, but
whatever you can do in the IPv6 sphere will be most welcome, no doubt.

> Does the "control data" interface support for IPv4 let you control the
> sending address when writing, or just get the recipient address when
> reading?

IIRC, no and if it did it wouldn't be highly portable.

> Ken

Cheers,

Nico
--
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-