IPv6 support? (Was: krb5kdc crashes)

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 3 02:25:39 EST 2002

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo at bayour.com> writes:
> Is there any work in progress to support IPv6? Not that _I_ need it _NOW_,
> but just so I know :)

I'm doing some work on it, piece by piece as time allows, but there's
no big concerted effort right now.

In the 1.3 code base in development, it probably wouldn't take much
work to enable clients to use IPv6 to talk to the KDC, but the KDC
support will need more work.  (We need TCP support there too, another
big change.)  The telnet code supports IPv6, and I've made a few
changes to rlogin/rsh in that direction, but ftp needs quite a bit
more work.  There are new FTP protocol commands for supporting IPv6
addresses which we haven't got support for yet.

Both kinit and klist should understand IPv6 addresses.  At least,
kinit will include local IPv6 addresses on platforms where I've worked
out the code to find the local IPv6 addresses; Linux is the most
recent addition there.  (Not because it was hard, but because it's so
gratuitously different.)

Ken