[ietf-enroll] Some thoughts on ENROLL's direction

Lortz, Victor victor.lortz at intel.com
Wed May 5 18:39:22 EDT 2004

[Walker, Jesse] Fair enough, but I had to start somewhere. My mental
model was a USB token as the OOB channel. A user will be willing to
insert it into one machine, remove it, and then insert it into another.
She will not in general be willing to then return it back the starting
machine to form a two-way channel. This sort of model seemed to me to be
the minimal OOB channel that we could assume. A minimalist philosophy
may be the wrong assumption, and my mental USB token may be the wrong
medium.

[Vic Lortz] Interestingly enough, Microsoft just this week announced a
new technology for securely configuring WLAN networks using USB tokens.
They call it "Windows Smart Network Key", and it will be included in
Windows XP SP2.  Their initial version of this technology does not
include an in-band exchange, but it does include returning the USB token
back to the starting machine.  I'm not saying we should necessarily
follow that example, but it is one real-world data point to consider.  I
think the current reason for returning the token to the originator has
mostly to do with updating a user interface on that machine with
information about the devices that were enrolled.  Once the SSID and WEP
keys (or WPA-PSK keys) have been delivered to the other devices using
the USB token, the enrollment operation is effectively complete.

I think a "mental USB token" is useful, because many potential OOB
channels correspond to this model.  We don't have to enumerate solutions
for all of them, but we need to make sure the framework we create can be
readily mapped onto them.