[ietf-enroll] Some thoughts on ENROLL's direction

Alper Yegin alper.yegin at samsung.com
Tue Apr 13 16:36:57 EDT 2004

Hi,

Thanks for putting this together. I think working out scenarios and
decomposing the process is a good approach.

What I'm thinking is, there are three phases leading to a service:
[1] Service subscription.
For example, walking into a cell phone store, registering in a plan
(service) using my credit card, walking out with a SIM card (and a
phone).
[2] Service access admission.
When I turn on my phone, it performs SIM authentication, and gets
authorized to access the cellular network.
[3] Receiving the service.
Making and receiving phone calls, or generating IP traffic. Traffic is
carried over a channel that can prove the authenticity of the
end-points.

Authentication algorithms and credentials used at each step are likely
to be different, but somehow (mostly cryptographically) they are bound
to each other.
Transformation from one to another would be interesting to this WG, I
think.

I think you also have these steps covered in you write-up. The
difference is, I thought what we call "enrollment" was step [1], whereas
your text suggests step [2] is "enrollment". The charter says:

  There are many cases where a service consumer needs to contact a
  service provider to get credentials that the consumer can use when
  accessing the service; part of this initial contact may involve
  the consumer and the provider mutually validating the other's
  identity.

It'd be good to know which step we want to call enrollment.

Other comments:

   2.1. First, enrollment requires two channels, an OOB channel and an
in-band
   channel.

I guess conceptually we can have this separation. In some cases, they
may be the same.

   2.2. Second, ease of use requires that the OOB channel is one-way.
This is because

Same comment for this one too. Sometimes it may be two-way.

  2.5. We want the process initiated by the user, not happen
automatically. This is

A user agent (software) might be acting on behalf of the (human) user
though.

Regards,

Alper