[I-mobile-u] google maps v3 sample

Dave Olsen dmolsen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 17:51:21 EST 2010

I've been playing around with this and jQTouch over the last few days.
Unfortunately I couldn't get v3 of the Google Maps API working with
jQTouch smoothly. The problem is that to get the edges of the map to
load smoothly you have to use an overflow hidden. Because of that the
controls get partially hidden and their is no way to offset them. It's
a shame since it obviously loads better. Hopefully they address that
soon.

If you're curious to see the UI I'm working on for a future version of
the Google Maps-based mobile campus map on the iPhone using jQTouch
check out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmolsen/4371203512/

Really appreciate you bringing up v3 since I wouldn't have thought to
consider it.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Derek Morr <derekmorr at psu.edu> wrote:
> As I mentioned on last week's call, I'm experimenting with v3 of the
> Google Maps API.
>
> I had noticed that the campus map building info page was blocking while
> down the page (at the end of the main container div), and that helped a
> bit. When I switched to the v3 API, the page loads much faster (about
> 2.5x faster according to firebug).
>
> Sample v3 script (apologies for lack of formatting):
>
> <script type="text/javascript"
> src="http://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false"></script>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> function initialize() {
> var latlng = new google.maps.LatLng(40.804163675046, -77.8550381586516);
> var myOptions = {
> zoom: 16,
> center: latlng,
> mapTypeId: google.maps.MapTypeId.ROADMAP
> };
> var map = new google.maps.Map(document.getElementById("map_canvas"),
> myOptions);
> var bldgmarker = new google.maps.Marker( {
> position: latlng,
> map: map
> } );
> }
> </script>
>
> You can see this at http://m.et-test.psu.edu/map
>
> The v3 javascript download is much smaller, and it doesn't require a map
> key. More info at the Google I/O talk last year -
> http://code.google.com/events/io/2009/sessions/MapsApiMobile.html
>
> -derek
>
> --
> Derek Morr
> Senior Systems Programmer
> Emerging Technologies, Information Technology Services
> The Pennsylvania State University
> derekmorr at psu.edu
>
> This email was sent (at least in part) over IPv6.

Proud supporter of DC United