[I-mobile-u] google maps v3 sample

Derek Morr derekmorr at psu.edu
Mon Feb 15 11:31:54 EST 2010

As I mentioned on last week's call, I'm experimenting with v3 of the
Google Maps API.

I had noticed that the campus map building info page was blocking while
down the page (at the end of the main container div), and that helped a
bit. When I switched to the v3 API, the page loads much faster (about
2.5x faster according to firebug).

Sample v3 script (apologies for lack of formatting):

<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=false"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
function initialize() {
var latlng = new google.maps.LatLng(40.804163675046, -77.8550381586516);
var myOptions = {
zoom: 16,
center: latlng,
mapTypeId: google.maps.MapTypeId.ROADMAP
};
var map = new google.maps.Map(document.getElementById("map_canvas"),
myOptions);
var bldgmarker = new google.maps.Marker( {
position: latlng,
map: map
} );
}
</script>

You can see this at http://m.et-test.psu.edu/map

The v3 javascript download is much smaller, and it doesn't require a map
key. More info at the Google I/O talk last year -
http://code.google.com/events/io/2009/sessions/MapsApiMobile.html

-derek

--
Derek Morr
Senior Systems Programmer
derekmorr at psu.edu

This email was sent (at least in part) over IPv6.