[galib] Constrainted Optimization

Bruckmann, Tobias bruckmann at mechatronik.uni-duisburg.de
Tue Nov 20 10:38:45 EST 2007

Dear Anselmo,

thanks a lot for this helpful explanation. Maybe I should describe my problem more detailed: I'm optimizing robot designs - I want to have an optimized (e.g. small, cheap or fast) design, but it must be guaranteed that a predefined workspace (= all poses the robot can reach) can be covered by the resulting robot, so the robot can handle a certain task for sure. That means that the parts of robot (my genome) can vary in a wide variety. Noteworthy, the optimum design is very close to a design which doesn't have the required workspace. If I just allow parts will never lead to invalid workspaces (which would be hard to determine in advance), I would never get "optimal" results close to the real optimum. Thus, the limited chromosome representation will not help since I can determine invalid designs only during runtime within the objective function (where I check if the individuum has the required workspace)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus dem verregneten Duisburg,

Tobias

Tobias Bruckmann
Universität Duisburg-Essen, Campus Duisburg
Fachbereich Ingenieurwissenschaften
Abteilung Maschinenbau
Lehrstuhl für Mechatronik
Lotharstraße 1, MD 227
47057 Duisburg

Tel.: +49 (0) 203 / 379 - 1908 oder -4065
Mobil: +49 (0) 174 / 186 15 78
Fax: +49 (0) 203 / 379 - 4494
E-Mail: mailto:bruckmann at mechatronik.uni-duisburg.de