[galib] Constrainted Optimization

Anselmo Pitombeira anselmop at sc.usp.br
Tue Nov 20 09:32:24 EST 2007

You have many ways of avoiding infeasible solutions, but I suggest one
of the following:

 1. Using a chromosome representation which doesn't allow an infeasible
solution to be generated;
 2. developing a feasibility correction procedure;
 3. applying penalties on infeasible individuals so that they can't
propagate over the generations.

Alternative 1 is preferable, since you don't have to set any parameter,
i.e., the penalty value, but it may be difficult for you to arrive at a
suitable representation which bounds within your feasible solution
space. Moreover, if you use an obscure representation, you must develop
all genetic operators and experiment with them in order to assess their
efficiency.

You can also check for the feasibility of the solution as soon as it is
generated, as in alternative 2, and modify it so that it complies with
your feasible space definition. You have to develop a correction
procedure to accomplish this.

My third suggestion is the use of penalties. You check for the
feasibility of the solution and in case it is infeasible, you just
assigns a high fitness value to it. This is the simplest method, but it
has the drawback of requiring the penalty value, which is highly
dependent on your data set.

There is no immediate way of doing this in GALib. You may use, as an
aid, allele sets in order to develop a representation which doesn't
generate infeasible solutions.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen aus Brasilien

Anselmo Pitombeira