[galib] Odd thing happens to GALib

Xiaowei Tan tan at tamu.edu
Mon May 16 23:55:41 EDT 2005

I am using GA Lib for my project. I just found something odd with GALib:

For a genetic algorithm defined with population of N and generation of M,
the total number of objective function evaluation should be Nx(M+1)
(Considering ga.initialize(), where GaLib generates the first generation).
However I found the number of data points is always less than N(M+1). After
I put a global variable to trace the number of objective function
evaluations, I found GA Lib starts off with evaluating every individual in a
population, start to skip more and more evaluations after a few
generations...

I am perplexed. Can someone here explain why?

Thanks!