[galib] Change mutation function

matthew wall mbwall at MIT.EDU
Sun Feb 27 09:27:27 EST 2005

On 27 Feb 2005, at 06:03, Mark Hodgson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> Yes you are correct. The function is changed by changing it for each
> genome over the population. However, there was a complication when i
> was doing this.
>
> If I changed the functions in genomes in a population mid evolution,
> then continued evolving, some of the genomes functions were changed
> but not others.
>
> I solved this problem by creating a fresh population using the same
> method to change the functions, which seemed to work ok.
>
> Perhaps this is due to some sort of cacheing within the
> GAGeneticAlgorithm?

it depends on the genetic algorithm.  some ga implementations keep
copies of genomes from which to generate new individuals; the
individuals in the population are *not* all of the individuals that the
ga uses.

this is why there are operators on the genetic algorithm for changing
genome operators - the operators on the genetic algorithm are supposed
to modify the genome operators on *all* genomes that the ga uses,
whether in the population or the 'helper' genomes it uses.