[galib] how to add my custom arguments to Initializer and Objective?

Jose daVeiga jfernand at ucla.edu
Sat Feb 26 15:13:37 EST 2005

Hi,

I am using GA lib for a plugin I am writing for MAYA (www.maya.com).

To initialize my genome I need to populate it with the xyz values of
surfaces.  I also need to call MAYA through its specific API to be able
to evaluate the surfaces I would be updating with the values from the
genes. I am able to do all the MAYA stuff I need but now I need to get
the genetic stuff to work.  In sum, I would need my initializer and
objective functions to look like this:

float Objective1( GAGenome& g, MDagPath objectPath, MObject component)
void DeterministicInitializer (GAGenome&, MDagPath objectPath, MObject
component)

I could possibly set objectPath and component as global variables, and
then access them inside my Objective1 and DeterministicInitializer...but
that’s just wrong! ;)

I've been reading the documentation and I can't seem to figure out a way
to do this.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Jose
PS- I am also looking to write a progress bar, when the duration is the
number of generations, and I am wondering how can I get the current
generation number after evolve() is called/running?

José daVeiga

PhD Candidate: Architecture, Technology
Department of Architecture and Urban Design
University of California, Los Angeles
+1 (310) 415-9893 (C)                     jfernand at ucla.edu
www.bol.ucla.edu/~jfernand
Master of Arts in Architecture (UCLA '03 - Technology)
Master of Architecture (UCLA '98 - MarchII)
Professional Degree in Architecture (Lusiada University '96)
LEEDtm Accredited Professional ('04)
Licensed Architect in Portugal since '97
"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs,
then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy
civilization." - Pablo Picasso