Constraints

Lauro de Miranda Durães laurogalib at yahoo.com.br
Fri Jul 12 10:27:40 EDT 2002

Hi all,

     I'm new in the FAQ (hi all again! :-)). I'm not a expert in genetic algorithms, but I want to be. And I need help! :-) Thanks a lot for the authors of GAlib and for all the FAQ members.

     I need some help to understand how galib consider the incorporation of constraints into genetic algorithm search. At Goldberg book, the penalty method is presented; only it. I coldn't study GAlib at this point yet, but I saw in Example 9 that's possible to include constraints. How the GAlib consider them (a especific method?)? And one more question (very important to me): at Ex 9, constraints of the form

               - 5 <= X1 <= 5 and - 5 <= X2 <= 5

are considered. If I need the following:

               - 5 <= X1 <= 5 and - 5 <= X2 <= 5  AND (X1 + X2) >= 10 (for example)

How can I consider the third constraint (the sum of variables must be an inequality relation)?

Thanks a lot for the answers!

Lauro.

PS.: I'm sorry for the not good english.

Lauro de Miranda

Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais

Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil