score vs raw objective, stats and more HELP

Theresa Radke theresaradke at corelcity.com
Wed Aug 2 21:30:15 EDT 2000

Hello,

I am a senior computer science student taking a genetic algorithm
course this summer semester.

Our final project (is also an inter-class contest of sorts) involves
evolving magic squares with galib.

I have my program running, and creating squares, my issues however
are as follows.

When a value is returned from my objective function as a "score", how
is that value "scaled" and converted to a score for the statistics
object?

For example, I am unable to tell at which generation the program is
producing the first magic square.  Because one of my classmates might
perhaps be subscribed to this group, I don't want to give too much
away concerning my fitness algorithm, but I can say that it returns a
value ...if the value is larger the better the individual fitness is.

My issue is how to reference the best individual within the
terminator function to ensure the exit upon first magic square is
encountered.

I have examined the flushed data, and thought I'd found a value that
the best of generation reaches when a magic square is encountered,
however when i use that value in the terminator function as a
comparitor it does not exit.

I could solve this issue by checking maxEver's fitness (summing
columns and rows and diagonals) at each generation end to see if it
sums to the magic number, however I cannot determine how to access
the gene of the best individual to do the manual computation within
loops.

I am using the GA2DArrayGenome object for my chromosome.  Any help or
insight that anyone might be able to offer would be greatly
appreciated.

Theresa Radke
"great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds"
--Albert Einstein