[fair-data-stewardship] Data Stewardship Interest Group: continuing efforts

Knight, Kathryn knightke at ornl.gov
Thu Oct 28 09:49:43 EDT 2021

Hi all,

Earlier this year, GO FAIR U.S. hosted a FAIR Stewardship Interest Group meeting<https://gofair.us/news/2021-05-8-data-stewardship-ig-mtg.html>, which was attended by about 70 people. The purpose of the meeting was to start discussions around all things data stewardship-related, especially as it pertains to the larger FAIR community (needs related to training, overall skills, job descriptions, and so on).

One outcome of this meeting is the recent FAIR Data Stewardship<https://gofair.us/news/2021-09-09-announcing-fair-data-stewardship-listserv.html> listserv. This is meant to be an informal forum for the data stewardship community to connect, ask each other questions, network, share training opportunities, and so on.

We feel that there's still an opportunity to keep the momentum going from that initial, well-attended meeting in April. We'd like to propose a quarterly Data Stewardship Interest Group meeting, where interested folks can meet, share, discuss, and generally keep the conversation going. There's a similar effort happening in the Netherlands<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.dtls.nl_about_community_interest-2Dgroups_data-2Dstewards-2Dinterest-2Dgroup_&d=DwMGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=gxUDECc4rZvpOJ5eYvQPC9Y2ZTjslIKcVgHXpb3OVEU&m=qfGzCVzqli-nR2LDP1M5zCyQrqAlPI5fPXrGvPkzpHo&s=not4u15RRuTzzoXiHBSiJ4REvMPKzIQC_aSsXl9rJXo&e=>, which also meets semi-regularly.

Our question to all of you: is there any interest among you in helping organize and chair such a group? Please let us know--we'll be glad to help get things started and connect you with the GO FAIR US office for support. So far we have one volunteer, and we’re looking for one or two more to share the effort.

Thanks so much,

Katie and Chris