[E&E seminars] TODAY: Tony Hayward, CEO of BP - MITEI Colloquium

Jameson Twomey jtwomey at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 29 10:26:02 EDT 2009

Facing the Harsh Realities

Shaping the Energy Mix of the Future, Starting Today

Tony Hayward
CEO, BP plc.

October 29th - Today!

Lecture at 4:15 PM

Room 10-250
77 Massachusetts Ave
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Reception follows in the Pappalardo Room (4-304)
Abstract

In the 20th century, low cost, abundantly available energy enabled
global prosperity and development. Now, at the beginning of the 21st
century – as living standards rise and urban populations expand –
satisfying ever-growing demand in a sustainable way has become the
world’s biggest challenge.

We need a more diverse energy mix which enables energy security and
helps address the issue of climate change. Alternative energy sources
have an important role to play, but the long investment lead times in
the energy business mean they will take decades to be deployed at
scale. We have to face the fact that fossil fuels will continue to
supply the overwhelming bulk of our energy needs for decades to come.

Tony Hayward will address the tough policy and investment choices
involved in navigating towards a lower-carbon world. How will the
energy mix evolve in transportation and power generation? What
technologies are available? And what actions do governments need to
take to create the right framework for a sustainable future? Hayward
will seek to stimulate an informed policy debate in an area where
half- truths and misinformation too often hold the field.

About the Speaker

Tony Hayward joined BP, one of the world’s largest oil and gas
companies, in 1982 as a rig geologist. Following a series of technical
and commercial roles in Europe, Asia and South America, he held roles
as Director of BP Exploration and Group Treasurer before being
appointed CEO of Exploration & Production. Tony joined the main board
of BP in 2003 and was appointed Group Chief Executive in May 2007.
He is also a member of the MIT Energy Advisory Board, the Business
Council of Britain, Chair of GLOBE CEO Forum for Climate Change and a
Trustee of the Emirates Foundation.