[E&E seminars] Senator Tom Carper - Nuclear Waste Roundtable - May 18

Jameson Twomey jtwomey at MIT.EDU
Tue May 12 14:59:36 EDT 2009

The MIT Energy Initiative is honored to welcome Senator Tom Carper to
MIT to host a roundtable discussion on recycling and reprocessing
nuclear waste. We hope you will join us!

Recycling Nuclear Waste: Addressing Nuclear Waste in the 21st Century

Speaker: U.S. Senator Tom Carper
Date: Monday, May 18th
Time: 10:00 AM - 12:00 Noon
Location: 56-114, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Abstract

One of the long-term questions about nuclear energy is how to manage
the waste. For many years, U.S. nuclear utilities have paid fees to
the federal government for nuclear waste disposal. But work on
disposal has come with delays and roadblocks. It is time to
responsibly move forward to address the nuclear waste issue.

Senator Carper’s roundtable brings together MIT and Harvard professors
to investigate options for handling the United States’ nuclear waste
through recycling and reprocessing. Experts in the field will discuss
the pros and cons of recycling technologies, providing information
Senator Carper will take back to Congress with him during the ongoing
congressional debate.

Host Bio

U.S. Senator Tom Carper is the senior senator from Delaware and a
long- time supporter of safe nuclear energy. He believes nuclear power
provides solutions to critical problems facing America today,
including helping to reduce our reliance on foreign oil, and reducing
air pollution that damages our environment and causes global warming.
As chairman of the Senate subcommittee that oversees our nation's
civilian nuclear operations, Senator Carper wants to ensure that the
benefits of nuclear energy are realized in a way that responsibly
protects the public's health and security, as well as the environment.

Roundtable Members

Senator Tom Carper, D-DE, Member Environment and Public Works
Committee; Chairman, Subcommittee on Clean Air and Nuclear Safety;
Member, Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs;
Member, Senate Finance Committee; Chairman of the Senate Nuclear
Caucus and the Senate Recycling Caucus

Dr. Matthew Bunn, Associate Professor of Public Policy, John F.
Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University

Dr. Charles Forsberg, Executive Director of the Fuel Cycle Study,
Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering, MIT

Dr. Andrew Kadak, Professor of the Practice of Nuclear Engineering,
Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering, MIT

Dr. Ernest Moniz, Director of the MIT Energy Initiative and Laboratory
for Energy and the Environment, Cecil and Ida Green Professor of
Physics, MIT