[E&E seminars] Probstein Lecture: Friday, May 13; 3:30 PM; Room 34-101

Sean Buhrmester fatsean at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 12 17:34:22 EDT 2009

The Mechanical Engineering  Colloquium presents:

*The Ronald F. Probstein Lecture in Engineering Science*

*Professor Robert H. Socolow*
Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Princeton University

*Friday, March 13, 2009
3:30 PM, Room 34-101*

*"Technology, Policy, and Values for Living in a Greenhouse"*

/The growing prosperity of our species and the smallness of our planet
are in collision. Fresh thinking is required to understand our
predicament and our options, to manage geoengineering, to rethink
"fairness" across countries, and to understand how our time on Earth
relates to future time. /
/ /
/Climate change provides good points of entry into this new domain.
Every "solution" carries its own risks. Uncertainties are large and are
themselves uncertain. Yet we must act./
/ /
/The first step is to reason on a planetary scale and to understand the
numbers. /

*A reception (outside of the auditorium) will follow the lecture.

*

*Robert Socolow* is a Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
at Princeton University and co-principal investigator (with ecologist,
Stephen Pacala) of Princeton University's Carbon Mitigation Initiative
www.princeton.edu/~cmi/ <http://www.princeton.edu/%7Ecmi/>. Pacala and
Socolow are the authors of "Stabilization wedges: Solving the climate
problem for the next 50 years with current technologies" (/Science/,
August 13, 2004).

Socolow is on two current committees of the National Academies:
"America's Energy Future" and "America's Climate Choices" and was a
member of the Grand Challenges for Engineering Committee of the National
Academy of Engineering. He was the editor of /Annual Review of Energy
and the Environment/, 1992-2002.

*For more information, please contact Sean Buhrmester (*_*sean at mit.edu*_
<mailto:sean at mit.edu>*, x3-7952)*